Friday, December 24, 2010

Teething Biscuits

Well, my dear Katelyn has been having some major tummy issues! It all seemed to have started when we introduced her to solid foods... it hit me one day that she has not had a dirty diaper in a really long time! So, I called the pediatrician who told me to give her some more juice, water, etc. So... I tried BUT Katelyn refused to take a sippy cup or a bottle (I now own EVERY SINGLE sippy cup that is stocked at Target!) so I figured out I could give her liquids through a straw=) Have you timed how long it takes to give a baby 7- 8 oz of liquid through a straw?

So, it didn't work! She woke up one night burning up with a fever so I called the pediatrician's office again and Lisa recommended that I bring Katelyn in for a visit. Basically the doctor told me the same thing that she needs more liquid but he wanted me to go home and give her a suppository because it had been too long since she last went and we needed to get "things" moving along! Well... 24 hours later the suppository didn't work so guess what I was told I had to do? Give my angel an enema! This was a two person job... so, my mom came over and her and I both crying our eyes out that we had to do this to our sweet girl and watch her be sooo uncomfortable was more than we could handle!

However, it got worse when the enema appeared not to work and we were told that we would have to bring her to Children's Phoenix Hospital for X-Rays... I started to panic and at that moment Katelyn did FOUR HUGE, HUGE, HUGE dirty diapers! I felt so terrible that all that junk was in her!

So, I made a vow that I was not giving her anymore solids until we got this issue worked out... since it appeared that the solids were what originally started this! But, the only way we were getting this issue worked out was that she had to take a min. of 7 oz of water and/ or juice. I now use a 60ml syringe to get this liquid down her... it has been a long journey and we are not through. As a matter of fact, please pray for us because the first enema was 2.5 weeks ago and if she doesn't have a dirty diaper by tomorrow then she has to have another one tomorrow and Lisa will be consulting with our doctor on Monday for Katelyn's next steps! This is one very worried and very nervous mommy!


Since I cut out her solids, I have treated her with "teething" biscuits though! She cut two more teeth for a total of 6! And these things are the only things she will actually chew on and it brings her so much relief!


Daniel dressed himself up as a "motorcycle" dude... this "look" just totally cracked me up!


An update on Daniel... he. loves. clothes. He is very, very opinionated about his clothes! He definitely has in his mind what he wants to wear and what he won't wear! He will even tell me if something matches or if it doesn't! He was so into his clothes that we put locks on his closets because he would change clothes so many times in one day that my laundry was getting out of control! And, the very funny thing is that he notices everything that everyone else is wearing and will talk to me about them in the car... like whose dress he liked and who had a "cool" shirt on at the gym, etc! Or he will put something on and tell me who has a shirt like his, or socks like the ones he is wearing, etc!


No comments: