Thursday, April 22, 2010

Katelyn's Birth Story!

Katelyn's Birth Story:

I woke up at 1:45 on Wednesday morning feeling an unusually strong contraction but as most of you know, I have been having contractions since 35 weeks so I didn’t think anything of it! I went back to sleep to be woke up again about 30 minutes later so I thought I will just lay here and wait until about 5:30 and get up and see what happens… I also didn’t want to wake up Brendon because I knew he was going to have a LONG day ahead of him.

Well, at 4AM I had a contraction that was STRONG and I woke Brendon up and said…. I AM IN LABOR! We really thought we had a lot of time as Daniel’s labor started early Thursday morning and we went to the hospital Thursday evening and he was born Friday morning… I never felt anything as far as pain was considered either!

Unfortunately, Brendon had left his phone at work so he thought he should go get his phone and my car was out of gas so he got gas and he asked if I wanted Starbucks which opens at 4:30AM… we thought we had tons of time! Before Brendon left, he drew me a bath and I thought that would help me in my "early" labor but eventually the contractions got so bad that it hit me.. I bet I am farther along than I think am... I better get out of this tub and get ready. So, I called Brendon and said, "Please hurry! As soon as you get home, we are going to the hospital!" I also let my parents and Aaron & Leigh Anne know what was going on and thank God that Daniel wasn't home because I was screaming in pain during the contractions.


As soon as I got out of the tub, I felt so much pressure and I knew things were progressing fast even though I never felt any of this during my labor with Daniel as I was drugged from the very beginning.


By the time Brendon got home, he was shocked at how much pain I was in and how quick the contractions were! My poor husband was literally running through the house gathering all the bags and last minute items I couldn't pack because we needed them for everyday use (thankfully, I had made lists for everything that needed to be added to the bags) and getting me in the car was a challenge because I didn't know how I was going to sit during a contraction (the car ride to the hospital was 20 minutes)… As soon as we pulled out of our neighborhood, there was a cop. I know that annoyed Brendon as he just wanted to fly but now he had to stay within the speed limit while I was screaming! It was a BEAUTIFUL morning out so he had the windows cracked for air and during my contractions, I made him roll them up so I wouldn't humiliate myself in front of complete strangers!


We got to the hospital around 5:45 and the admitting office tried to ask me questions (we were pre-registered but this was standard stuff) and when I was crying answering the questions, the nurses just took me away and said her husband will finish with you guys! I told them I wanted the epidural ASAP so they checked me and I was at 6cm… they started rushing with all the prep work for an epidural like an IV, paperwork signed, etc. They literally ran with me in my bed from triage to a labor and delivery room... it was just like the movies! They had the anesthesiologist come in my room IMMEDIATELY and I was already at 7cm by then! My doctor walked in as the anesthesiologist walked out and I was at 8cm by then! He said let’s break your water and have a baby! I started pushing but I couldn't feel anything as far as pressure when my contractions were coming so I was getting frustrated with pushing as pushing was super easy for me with Daniel. The nurse had this amazing idea... she got a white bath towel and she told me to take one end and I took the other end and she said, "Pull like we are playing tug of war!" It worked perfect! As soon as her head came out, Dr. Lepetich told me to look at her and hold her gently and pull her up on my chest! I couldn't believe he was going to let me catch my own baby! IT WAS AMAZING! It was less than thirty minutes of pushing, and I held my precious Katelyn!


My legs never went numb with the epidural... only the area that I needed it so I could enjoy the actual birth! It was perfect! Recovery was INCREDIBLY EASY!

I am so glad that she is here! My heart has expanded and I fell in love with the most beautiful girl on April 7, 2010! Enjoy the pics below!








A very small tube to get mucus/ amniotic fluid that she swallowed on the way out of her stomach.



My mom meeting her for the 1st time!



My dad meeting her with nurse Raquay who was incredible!






Since she was born so early, my brother got to meet her before he went to school!



Daddy posing with the new lady in his life!





Daniel met her and it was precious! He walked in our room and was so nervous but we asked him if he wanted to hold her and he totally fell in love with her…. He refers to her as “My Katelyn.” He asked a thousand times for me and her to come home with him! I think the pictures capture his emotions so well! His facial expressions show so many emotions - you can only imagine what was going through his little head!




Auntie meeting Katelyn for the 1st time!










Daniel wanted to know why Brendon, Katelyn and I had bracelets and he didn't... the nurse hooked him up with his own "Big Brother" bracelet!

The nurse glued a cute pink bow in her hair! Brendon took these pictures while I attended the discharge class!



The next day... Daddy was tired and hopped in my bed while I was showering!


Okay... just waiting for the doctor's to discharge us!






Katelyn's hearing test! (She passed!)






No comments: