Saturday, May 29, 2010

Where did her name come from?



Well, as you all know... we kept her name a secret until her birth. This was primarily my husband's decision as he felt with Daniel that we didn't know his gender so that was THE BIG SURPRISE for everyone so he wanted at least one surprise with Baby #2 and he decided that was going to be her name! It was SO HARD for me to keep it a secret... so, I cheated a little bit and told people totally unrelated to us like the Starbucks' Batista's, the Cold Stone Creamery people, etc!

Brendon and I have a REALLY hard time coming up with names... primarily because the names he likes, I don't really like and vice versa. So, as soon as we found out we were having a girl, I pulled out the Baby Name Books and literally read them from A - Z! It is pretty much like reading a dictionary! So, I would write down the names I liked then I would run them by Brendon and he would say Yes or No... I got to Katelyn and for some reason, it just stood out to me.... like I couldn't get it out of my head, it just felt right! The miracle was that Brendon liked it too!

There were a couple of other confirmations... like at Christmas time, my sister asked us what we were going to name her and we had NO IDEA then! So she said that she liked the name "Kate" and I just thought it was cute and simple but it reminded me too much of "John and Kate plus 8" who were in the news BIG time then so I was like... "yeah, I don't think so!" Then, Daniel was in a music class and and the music teacher asked me what I was going to name her so I told her (one of those unrelated people!) and she said, "Oh! My daughter's name is Katelyn!" Then she asked me if I knew what it meant and I said, "Yes, that is another reason we like the name... Kate is a derivative of Katherine which means 'Pure, Innocent One' and in the world we are living in now, this is our desire for our daughter." She began to tell me that it gets better... her name was Lyn and that Lyn means "Refreshing or Refreshment" and so when you put Kate and Lyn together, it actually means "PURE REFRESHMENT" and at that very moment I FELL IN LOVE with the name and knew that is what we were going to name her for sure!

The amazing thing is that is exactly what Katelyn has been in our live... PURE REFRESHMENT! My prayer for our daughter is that every person she comes into contact with during her life here on this earth, that she will bring them "PURE REFRESHMENT!"

No comments: